Sunday, October 17, 2004

Oldies but goodies, part 1

Well, so much for the idea of blogs as up to the minute. (In fact, I may set them back about five years.) I'm about to post a bunch of stuff that's ancient by blog standards -- about a month or so old, to be precise. But it's in keeping with the idea of this particular blog as a sort of storehouse/clearinghouse for all my project research. What happened was that I've been working on this project in my head for a long time, something I have a habit of doing, when I should have been working on it on the computer all along. So this will be a catch-up post; in the future I'll attempt to keep up with things better.

So to start, some articles on one of my biggest case studies: the CBS memo debacle. It may have left Dan Rather spitting mad, but it was perfectly timed for a project on the relationship between presidential politics and the new media. In no particular order:

Jonathan V. Last, "What Blogs Have Wrought," The Weekly Standard, 27 September 2004. A succinct but thorough overview of the affair. An online reprint of a print publication (though as a conservative magazine, the Standard's not considered mainstream media.)

Frederick Turner, "The Blogosphere and the Pajamaheddin," Tech Central Station, 21 September 2004. A comparison of the worldviews of the MSM (mainstream media) and the blogosphere. TCS is an exclusively online publication.

Victor Keegan, "Blogging on," Guardian Unlimited, 22 September 2004. A brief examination of the idea of a "citizens' media." Online reprint from a liberal British newspaper.

Have to take a break -- more coming . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home