Monday, July 11, 2005

Bibliodeficiencyphobia

Holy cow, there's a name for it. And I thought I was the only one who had it!

(Because Corner links rarely seem to work right, here's the text:

"OFF TO CRUISE [Rich Lowry]
Headed out, after confronting my usual packing problem. I have an obsessive fear of being caught short on reading material on trips. I don't know what this phobia is called--am I a bibliodeficencyphobic or something like that?--but it's a major crimp in my travel. Sure, I tell myself, this thick novel should be enough to last me a week. But what if it doesn't engage my interest? What if I have more time on my hands than I thought and get through it relatively quickly? Better take something else. But what if that other book proves very skimmable and it lasts less than a day? Better take something else. But what? What if I take the wrong thing, and feel the urge to read something else instead? And on it goes until I've stuffed my bag with so many books--the vast majority of which will go untouched--that I've got to worry about how to fit all my clothes.
Posted at 11:18 AM")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home