Thursday, May 19, 2005

'Tribute to a fallen hero'

I've been MIA again for some time, and again, I'm sorry. Still trying to get the hang of this blogging thing -- particularly the idea that you're supposed to do it EVERY DAY. Amazing how daunting that idea can be. But I am still alive, and I am still trying to keep this going. (My grad school class just finished for the summer, so that should be a help, I hope.)

That said . . .

I want to share something that ran in my great-uncle's local paper after he died on Good Friday. I can't find it anywhere online, so I'll have to reprint it in its entirety. It may look long, but it really is worth a read. Like this reporter, I'm another who will miss Uncle Chub's utterly fascinating war stories. (Everyone called him Chub -- I have no idea why, because to the end of his life the man was as fit as any 20-year-old who spends hours a day in the gym!)

"Tribute to a fallen hero
Earl Corp

"The word hero means different things to different people.

"To a kid it might be the Little League coach or Scout leader who takes time out of their own life to give the child an opportunity to succeed or feel special.

"To some, it could be the firefighter or cop who keep our lives and property safe.

"Or the single mom raising two kids and holding down two jobs.

"My definition of a hero is an ordinary person who has faced extraordinary circumstances or overwhelming odds and overcome them.

"Actually, the people who have put their life on the line to ensure I am free to sit at this computer and report the news are my heroes.

"In November, I had the opportunity to add to my list of heroes when I interviewed the four Loreno brothers.

"All four served in World War II and came home. None were wounded.

"Each of the brothers graciously took time to sit down and talk about their experiences with me.

"While all the stories were interesting, the brother to whom I felt most akin was Charles.

"Charles had been an infantryman in every major European campaign from Africa to D-day through the Battle of the Bulge.

"I also served as an infantryman in the U.S. Army, though not in combat.

"Charles told me stories that had me on the edge of my seat.

"Never making himself the hero or embellishing his role, Charles talked to me as if I was a comrade and made me feel very comfortable.

"Time seemed to fly as I listened to his tales, some humorous, others sad.

"When the war was over, Charles came home and started the life he had had to put on hold for four years.

"Over the next 60 years, he worked, raised a family and contributed to society.

"Just a normal Joe in Greenville, nothing fancy. You could have passed Charles in a store and never known you were in the presence of a hero.

"He didn’t make a big deal over his military service.

"To him it was just a chapter in his life.

"Unfortunately, the story ended for Charles last Friday, he passed away.

"His brother Ed told me during viewing hours Charles died peacefully in his sleep.

"Not a bad way to go, considering all Charles had been through during the war.

"The afternoon spent with Charles Loreno will always be a great source of pride for me as a reporter.

"I was given the honor to record history from a source quickly disappearing every day—a World War II veteran.

"I urge anyone to take advantage of the opportunity to talk to these living history resources before they’re gone.

"History books or movies can’t give the same feel for an event as someone who had been there and done that.

"It was a privilege to have met Charles and his brothers. It was a pleasure to record their stories.

"I know heartfelt condolences go out to the Loreno family from myself and the entire Record-Argus family.

"--Earl Corp is a (Greenville, Pa.) Record-Argus staff writer."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home